Thursday, September 2, 2010

All three meals!

seen in eastern WA
So our trip East finally begins.  Sometime during the day we crossed a highway that would lead us north towards Penticton, so that was a bit discouraging, but now we're in Idaho and I can see progress. We are coming home, after all, if for no other reason than everything in the states between Seattle and Chicago (except our little stop in CO) scares me.  So I've become one of those tricoastal urban/suburbanites who is terrified of the people watching fox news in the motel, wearing "freedom isn't free" t-shirts, and sporting bumper stickers such as: "nobama".  Sigh.


We followed this US mail truck for a minute.  I have seen thousands of fed ex trucks on my east-west trip. This was the first (of two) US mail trucks that I saw.

beautiful Northwestern mountain forests
 At about 5:00 I told Ashby that we'd drive for a few more hours, then pull into Boise and find a motel and a restaurant for dinner.  Her reply?  "Good. all three meals."  I didn't know what she was talking about, but apparently, she found cause for celebration in the fact that we would eat three meals in one day, rather than snacking on skittles and gatorade all day long, which is how we've managed to cover so many miles in so little time.  Yes, there's a bad mother award out there for this behavior....
greasy spoon

yes...the car with the bumper stickers is mine...
When we left the classic eatery, Ashby said: "No wonder there's no road food anymore, i didn't like that food."  And so it goes.  We can hope and nostalgiaze, but everything is horrible "out there."  Give me the Depot. 
a little more Oregon..far Northeastern corner




videos: name that tune.....?


And finally to Boise for dinner and motel.  Ashby wanted Thai, which I thought was unlikely, but we found a perfect restaurant:

6 comments:

  1. That's my girl! Really though, I'm tellin ya: hot turkey sandwich at the Chinese restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you met these people on the road yet? I think I saw you and Ashby dancing in the background of this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HNY0rx2fw4

    ReplyDelete
  3. neophytes!!!!! what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pad thai and tom kar gai soup -- can't go wrong with that.

    The song in the video is Lady Gaga, Bad Romance,
    featured prominently in some episode of Glee.
    Are you surprised that I know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. not too surprised. I can imagine the two of you going through the glee reruns, because it's terribly smart and funny. And, what about the other video?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The other video sounded like the national anthem of Romania or some such.

    ReplyDelete