Tuesday, September 7, 2010

mile 6481



well, we made it.  All 6481 miles.  A summer of no flats (bike OR car), no blow outs, and no crashes (well, actually, one bike crash, but at least it was close to home and didn't include the kids).  Our final day was a little odd.  I was dizzy from driving so much, that we really had to set out with the intention of making it home.  Ashby was a terrific help in this endeavor.  I was a little sad to be leaving the western states, but Iowa provides some great scenery, like anywhere.
antiques!!!!

Our first stop was about three hours into the drive.  I pulled into Casey, Iowa to find a gas station and figured we'd have a good photo op.

I was thrilled when I discovered this hidden town.  Casey brags a great antique collection and, well, about the only thing I didn't accomplish on this trip was antiquing.  I had secretly hoped that as I empty my car of passengers and cargo that I would have room enough for that special sideboard that I would find in the middle of nowhere. 

Casey's downtown reminded me of the sad poetic charm that I love about small midwestern towns.  This place was surreal.  An absolute ghost town, except for the man in the Kum & Go, and the two women hosting antique shops that looked more closed than open, from the outside.  The only thing fresh in the town were the 14 american flags that I saw flying, standing on ONE corner.  Go Team.

I can't say that I found that sideboard, but Ashby found a little pig, and I found a postcard of the LA Airport, ca 1950 or 60.

The card was addressed to a Mrs. Clare B. Barnes, Bloomfield, Iowa, RR #2:

Monday Morning


Dear Mother:
We are on our way home. We arrived here on Friday afternoon and then was involved in an auto accident Saturday afternoon. Louise and I were in the back seat and while sitting at a stop sign, a car came out of nowhere and hit us broadside. No one hurt except me and I have two broken ribs on the left side. Was in the hospital Saturday night and Sunday morning and they have me all bound up. Guess one rib is broken in two places and one part of it is misplaced. Can't lay down and what sleeping I do is in a chair. It sure is painful. We thought it best to get back home as we can't enjoy anything here.

Well, I can't imagine any find more worthy of ending this summer adventure.  The collecting of stories, the journey, the wonder. But, alas, we all must come home, for whatever reason.

can i buy the town?
last rest stop, Iowa
Thelma and Louis overlooking the Mississippi
Our proud state's accomplishment.
 

2 comments:

  1. What on earth is that sign at the rest stop?!

    You are getting too good at this. We won't let you stop. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the rest stop featured quotes by notable iowans. People were sitting at most of the tables. Can't say i remember who we are quoting here, but it does have something to do with the wisdom of not acknowledging what is before our very eyes.

    ReplyDelete