Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nebraska, part two, OR, after six thousand miles still dumb?



 
How can there not be more to say about our stay in Nebraska when my short lived career as a full time blogger is about to come screeching to a halt?  Ashby has become quite the navigator, and her skills in keeping focus and calmly assessing the situation has brought us this close to home.  Many times today she said: "at this rate, we will make it to Lincoln, but we might as well go on to Omaha!!" That's the spirit, girl!
So we pull the plug on Omaha, since we're tired and hungry and we have tomorrow, after all.  I find the exit with a number of motels and quickly realize that there is almost NO Food available.  Not good, but I make an instant executive decision that Peter would frown upon.  I survey the situation and think to myself, 30 days of absolutely quiet sleeptime and soft comfy clean beds, this is my Last Night before the sounds of Home (cats, horns, creaks, alarms, cars, trains, planes, motion sensor light systems and even generators), so I splurge big and walk right into the Hampton Inn and insist upon a night with a HOT meal in the AM.  Ashby's face is alight.  She knows she's landed in Motel Heaven.  Once we secure the room and make sure it's up to our standards, we must navigate nutrition:
ahhh....
setting up her office






























So we unleash ourselves upon the slim-pickings food fare.  There is a food court next door, so we opt for the quiznos salad and buttered pasta.  Needless to say, if there is a food court, there is Chinese Food:















Then I'm looking at the desolate BP station across the street, thinking, i'd love to get a beer before bed, so I drag my kid across the street to see what sort of beer a BP station in Lincoln sells.  Well, I decide I might as well buy a six pack because Fat Tire is on sale for 6.49 so I can bring 5 beers home in the cooler.  I stupidly say to the guy behind the counter, "Oh, I'll get the six pack because it's cheap."  His response?? " It's been a long time since anybody said that around here"....oops. 
I didn't see a BP station in BC, OR, ID, CO, WA....

2 comments:

  1. I imagine that Fat Tire looks expensive when all you ever drink is PBR and ML and BL (Miller Lite and Bud Lite, for those of you who aren't familiar with the blonde joke).

    I was going to say that Indigo would be so pleased about the Chinese food, but then I saw that it was actually Chinese Thai food. I wonder how that compares with the Uruguayan Thai food, the Illinoisan Thai food, and the Burkinabe Thai food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting up her office! That does it, next time I go roadtripping I'm recruiting Ashby to be my sidekick. She can do all the navigating & organizing & take the pictures too. I'll just drive.

    Chinese Thai, I'll claim it.

    ReplyDelete